Education » Articles » Fraud Protection Tips
Fraud Protection Tips
It's Easy to Minimize Your Risk
- Install anti-virus software and update it regularly.
- Prevent unauthorized access to your computer through firewall software or hardware.
- Use the latest version of your chosen browser. (See Web Branch for details.)
- Update your operating system with the latest security patches.
- Consider installing a Web browser tool bar to help protect you from known phishing
- Keep all passwords confidential, and change them periodically.
- Set up passwords using both letters and numbers, and at least eight characters.
- Don't open a file attached to an email unless you are expecting it or know what
- Never forward emails warning about a new virus. (It could be the means to spread
- When sending personal information over the Internet, make sure you're on a secure
Web server. Encrypted sites contain https:// in the Web address (rather than just
- Regularly log on to your online accounts and review them.
- Above all, never respond to unsolicited phone calls or emails, and do not click
Learn more about online security
More fraud prevention articles