Education » Articles » Savings Tips For College Students And Others
Saving Tips for College Students and Others
Looking for ways to save money, manage finances, and avoid debt troubles? Following
are tips for college students. Non-students may glean some useful information from
these ideas too!
- Shop with a check card or cash. Pay for purchases now and save your credit card
- Compare prices on everything from phone service to a pack of gum.
- Buy used books, check them out from the library or swap/share with fellow students.
- Clip coupons and eat at home. Pack a snack in your book bag, rather than buying
one each day.
- Use email, online chats and U.S. mail instead of calling long distance.
- Walk, bike, or ride the bus rather than drive or taxi. Car insurance and parking
can be expensive.
- Take advantage of low-cost entertainment. Colleges have many free events, and often
local establishments offer student discounts.
- Pay your credit card bill in full each month to save on finance charges. It could
take years to pay off the balance if you just send the minimum amount each month.
- Avoid overdraft fees and ATM surcharges. Get overdraft protection and use UW Credit
Union surcharge-free ATMs.
- Try to get by on less each week. Stash the difference in your savings account.
Helpful Web Sites for College Students
- DebtFreeGrad.com provides
sound money management tips. Also, check out the budget simulator.
- CampusBlues.com is a site
dedicated to helping college students adjust to their new situation and deal with
everything from making new friends to handling a heavy course load and money management.
Web sites are for information only and do not imply endorsement.