Education » Articles » Shop Online Wisely With Visa
Shop Online Wisely with Visa Cards
Shopping in the virtual world is different than shopping in the real world, but
you still must protect your "wallet" just like you do when you carry it. Here’s
what you need to know to protect yourself—and to get the best bargains.
- Shop at merchant locations you already trust. You know the products, quality, and
- Look for special incentives. Online merchants are eager for your business, so many
offer benefits such as free shipping, no sales tax, free gifts or discounts.
- Read the shipping and return information so you know what to expect and when.
- Look for online security signs, such as a paddle lock and key in the bottom corner,
a site address that begins https://, or the words Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). These
are signs that only you and the merchant can view payment information.
- Choose passwords that are difficult to guess. Don’t use your birth date or SSN.
- Pay with your UW Credit Union Visa card. Chargeback rights protect you from paying
when you don’t receive merchandise or when it isn’t what was described. You also
receive discounts from merchants that have partnered with Visa. For a merchant listing,
go to visa.com.
- Sign up for Verified by Visa online purchase security, which authenticates transactions
with participating merchants. All UW Credit Union Visa credit and debit cards are
eligible. Register at visa.com.