Education » Articles » Top 5 Car Buying Tips
Top 5 Car Buying Tips
If you're in the market for a new car, use these helpful tips from the Auto Research Center to get you started.
- Determine how much you can spend. Most financial planners say that your car payment should be no more than 20% of your gross monthly income. Use our calculators to determine what's right for you.
- Research Online. Our Auto Research Center can help you compare pricing, option packages, safety and more.
- Know how much the dealer paid for the vehicle. This can help you negotiate a better deal. This is the price the dealer paid for the car, less any costs for advertising, destination charges or special regional pricing. It's also important to know the wholesale and retail values for used vehicles.
- Set your price. Determine the cost of the vehicle and subtract any rebates or incentives. Also know how much your trade-in is worth.
- Contact Dealers for Online Pricing. You can work with our participating dealerships to receive pricing and availability on new or used cars before visiting the dealership by contacting them online or by phone.
You can get answers to these questions by using the Auto Research Center. Or, call our lending specialists at 608.232.5000 or 800.533.6773, ext. 2900, with any questions you might have. Then, ask for UW Credit Union financing at one of our preferred dealers.
Auto Loans »