We strive to be a force for good in the communities where we work and live. It starts with dedicated service to our members and continues through our charitable efforts, financial wellness programs and scholarships.
Our social mission is simple: improve the financial well-being of people.
To accomplish this, we focus on activities aligned with our organizational values that improve access to:
- Educational opportunities that create economic mobility
- Stable, affordable housing
- Family-sustaining employment
- Financial education and literacy
- Environmental sustainability
Our community engagement is focused in the Madison and greater Milwaukee areas. We partner with non-profit organizations through philanthropic, volunteer, in-kind and pro bono efforts, promoting financial stability and economic mobility in those communities.
Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is crucial to everything we do. We invest in work that engages people historically excluded from financial services, delivers better access to those services and increases economic mobility.
We're proud to support many organizations, including:
Educational Giving & Scholarships
As a credit union founded on a college campus, we are fierce advocates for students and learning.
We provide hardworking students with thousands of much-needed scholarship dollars annually. And, we offer paid internships and youth financial literacy events to help young people build a strong foundation for their future success.
We are committed to providing valuable and affordable services that promote people's financial health.
This includes free financial seminars on important topics and common financial concerns, such as budgeting, borrowing, homebuying, credit and debt. Our workshops are free and open to the public.
We also offer free Credit Consultations for members and non-members by phone or in person. These no-obligation, no-judgement sessions provide a professional review of your finances and ways to help you save and improve your financial situation.
More Ways We Give Back
At UW Credit Union, we find new and innovative ways to put our values to work. Other ways we support our community include:
- Employee volunteering - We provide paid volunteer hours to our employees for the chance to give back on an individual level.
- UW Credit Union Fund for Racial Equity - We committed $1.5 million in funds for programs, with the goal of improving the financial wellbeing of Wisconsin communities.
- Shred-It - We offer secure document shredding several times a year in Madison and Milwaukee that's free and open to the public. Follow us on social for details on upcoming Shred-It events.
- Local sponsorships - We support a variety of community events and services through sponsored opportunities, such as citywide bike sharing programs in Madison and Milwaukee.
- Branch advocacy - With locations across Wisconsin, including La Crosse, Green Bay and Stevens Point, our branch teams connect with hyperlocal causes through volunteering, donations and sponsorships.
Our Values-Driven Philanthropy
Our giving and volunteering follow our mission and align with our values to generally fall under one or more of our highest priorities:
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- Access to higher education
- Stable housing
- Family-supporting employment and financial stability
- Environmental sustainability