20 Easy Ways to Save
Setting savings aside is good for your budget, and great for your sense of well-being, giving you that nice, warm feeling inside knowing you’re building a nest egg for the future. Whether you want to save for emergencies, retirement, education or that next big purchase, get started with these simple ideas.
- Turn off electronics when not in use to save on energy costs.
Use a surge protector so you can turn the power completely off.
- Sell your unused belongings online or in a garage sale.
Make a quick buck and clean out your house at the same time.
- Make cards and gifts instead of buying them.
It’ll mean more to your family and friends, and save you money.
- Bring snacks and a water bottle.
Avoid food and drink splurges when you’re out and about.
- Wait a week before buying.
Curb your impulse purchases by testing if you really need/want it.
- Take advantage of free activities.
Go to free parks, museums and fairs for fun outings.
- Consolidate high-interest balances.
Roll your debts into one lower-rate loan or credit card.
- Eat more meals at home.
Save on restaurant bills and go healthier by making your own food.
- Use the library.
It’s a free resource for books, music, movies, internet access and more.
- Prep meals for the week.
Plan ahead for dinners, leftovers and lunches to save time and money.
- Make laundry day cost effective.
Wash in cold water when possible and hang clothes up to dry.
- Buy used clothes, furniture and more.
Before you go new, try yard sales and consignment shops.
- Adjust the thermostat.
Save on heating and cooling costs by changing just a few degrees.
- Find other outlets.
If you want to unwind, try reading or exercise instead of shopping.
- Write down your goals.
Document what you want to accomplish to make your plans official.
- Buy generic and in bulk.
Save big on everyday items like cereal and laundry detergent.
- Choose to walk, bike or carpool.
Avoid driving to cut down on fuel costs and vehicle maintenance.
- Stay in with friends and family.
Host a dinner or play board games for fun and frugal socializing.
- Go vegetarian once in a while.
Save money and eat healthier by choosing meat-free meals.
- Cancel unused subscriptions.
Evaluate where you can cut back, such as gym memberships or cable.