The UW Credit Union Fund for Racial Equity
Creating a More Equitable Wisconsin
At UW Credit Union, our mission is to “improve the financial wellbeing of people.” That commitment starts with the 290,000 members we serve and extends to the communities in which they live. Through charitable giving, job creation, sustainable practices and more, UW Credit Union has a rich history of investing in our local communities.
And there is more to be done.
The pandemic has brought increased attention to the pervasive racial disparities in our Madison and Milwaukee communities. Black, indigenous and people of color (BIPOC) are facing barriers to achieving economic mobility and educational opportunities. There are many organizations doing great work to reduce this gap, and we want to help propel transformational programming solutions forward to achieve a more equitable future.
We have established a new fund that seeks to elevate the great community work already in progress: the UW Credit Union Fund for Racial Equity. This fund reflects our commitment to improve the financial wellbeing and financial capability of Black people, indigenous people and communities of color, and in turn, create a more equitable place where everyone can thrive.
Applications for the UW Credit Union Fund for Racial Equity are now closed.
Program Grant Recipients
UW Credit Union and United Way are honored to award program grants to the below 27 organizations. These funds are designed to increase financial stability and close the education achievement gap for people of color.
- Black Chamber of Commerce
- Latino Chamber of Commerce
- Odyssey Project
- Progress Center for Black Women
- East Madison Community Center
- Latino Academy
- Neighborhood Food Solutions
- Mentoring Positives
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Omega Schools
- Christ the Solid Rock Baptist Church
- Fair Opportunity Project
- Charles Hamilton Houston Institute, Inc.
- Operation Fresh Start
- Wisconsin Regional Training Program | BIG STEP
- Sankofa Education Leadership United
- African American Chamber of Commerce
- Asset Builders
- Artists Working in Education
- College Possible
- Fathers Making Progress
- La Casa de Esperanza
- Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Foundation
Emergency Grant Recipients
The following 24 organizations in Madison and Milwaukee will receive emergency grants on behalf of the UW Credit Union Fund for Racial Equity. In total, these organizations will receive nearly $500,000.
- 100 Black Men of Madison, Inc.
- African Center for Community Development
- Centro Hispano, Inc.
- Charles Hamilton Houston Institute
- FOSTER of Dane, Inc.
- Friends of the UW Odyssey Project, Inc.
- Madison Gospel 5K
- The Road Home
- Royal Financial Wellness Advisory Co.
- Simpson Street Free Press
- Trained to Grow Inc.
- The Umbrella Transitions Corporation
- YWCA Madison
- All-In Milwaukee
- Ambrose Place MKE
- The Boys and Girls Club of Milwaukee
- Center for Youth Engagement/Urban Underground
- Fathers Making Progress
- Pathfinders Milwaukee
- Riverworks Development Corporation
- Sixteenth Street
- United Community Center
- Waukesha Free Clinic
- YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee