Doing good is at our core, and that includes doing what's best for our planet. We take action through ongoing investments and new initiatives - because it matters now and for generations to come.
Award-Winning Business Practices
UW Credit Union is proudly recognized by the Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council’s Green Masters Program as a leader in environmental sustainability and business innovation.
We've been an EPA Green Power Partner for more than a decade, and we were the first credit union to achieve the EPA Green Power Leadership Club designation.
- Renewable energy - We purchase 100% renewable energy (like Midwestern wind power) in our community branches.
- Reduced paper use - With digital document signing and Paperless Statements, we've saved thousands of trees.
- Online investments - Our robust online and mobile banking not only save time, but save members car trips to branches and ATMs.
All new and remodeled branches and offices are constructed for energy efficiency and resiliency, including:
- Power consumption - We reduce our footprint through geothermal heating and cooling, LED lighting, occupancy sensors and more.
- Water management - On-demand water heaters, low-flow and waterless plumbing, and special water runoff and irrigation systems preserve this precious resource.
- Recycling - We prioritize the use of regional and recycled materials in building projects. And, we recycle or donate unneeded office equipment such as desks, cabinets and lighting.
- Utilities tracking - Since we began tracking in 2007, we've seen a continuous reduction in electrical, gas and water use at our offices and community branches, thanks to our sustainability practices.
UWCU Employee Efforts
Our Green Team is a group of UWCU employees who lead the way in fostering community stewardship and furthering our corporate commitment to sustainability through engaging programs and fundraising efforts.
- Fundraisers - The Green Team has raised thousands of dollars annually for local organizations like the Aldo Leopold Nature Center.
- Education - UWCU employees have the chance to attend free "Lunch & Learn" events on important sustainability topics.
- Recycling drives - Employees can easily recycle specialty materials such as batteries, medication, shoes and e-waste.
- Composting - Our corporate headquarters provides ongoing access to food waste composting for employees.
- Employee initiatives - Fun programs encourage teams to get involved and make a difference. For example, "Even Just Once" challenges employees to skip a car trip and choose a greener alternative.
Green Events & Sponsorships
- Shred-it - Our free document shredding events have helped people safely recycled thousands of pounds of paper.
- Adopt-a-Highway - UWCU volunteers maintain several miles of Wisconsin highway, keeping roadsides clean for everyone's benefit.
- Bike sharing - We're proud sponsors of citywide bike-sharing programs: BCycle in Madison and Bublr in Milwaukee.
- Sustain Dane - We maintain an ongoing relationship with Sustain Dane, Dane County's sustainability organization, at the highest sponsorship level.
Get to Know UW Credit Union
Interested in a career at UW Credit Union? Explore more details about our employee benefits, perks, the hiring process and job openings.