One of our commitments is to minimize the impact of our operations on the environment. This commitment aligns with our business practices and is important to our organization.
- We've reduced:
- Carbon dioxide emissions by 78%.1
- Water usage by 18%.2
- Electricity usage by 22.5%.1
- We operate with high-efficiency boilers and pumps, and have motion detectors for lighting throughout.
- All new branch buildings as well as recently remodeled branches follow LEED certification guidelines, including:
- Using low VOC (volatile organize compound) paints, recycled carpet and other recycled materials during construction.
- Adding bio-retention beds and water detention basins, allowing parking lot runoff to be slowed and filtered prior to going into public storm water systems.
- Purchasing electricity that is generated with renewable sources, such as solar and wind power.
- Installing outdoor bike racks.
- Approximately 71% of our members receive an electronic statement rather than a paper statement. This has saved over 26 million sheets of paper since 2002.
- Provide free bus passes to employees to encourage the use of public transportation.
- 2011 Mpower ChaMpion
We were selected to be a Mpower ChaMpion in 2011. The Mpower Program is a free, voluntary carbon reduction program for Madison-area businesses. Through the program,
we committed to sustainability initiatives and received the tools and support needed to complete them. The Mpower ChaMpion program is sponsored by the U.S. EPA,
City of Madison, MG&E, Campos Comprehensive Engineering and Focus on Energy.
- EPA Green Power Leadership Club
Since 2011, we have been an EPA Green Power Partner. In 2013, we were given an EPA Green Power Leadership Club designation. The credit union was selected for this level because
we purchase an equivalent of 100% of the electricity for our community branch network from renewable resources, such as wind power, all of which is generated regionally in the
Midwest. We are the first credit union in the nation to receive this designation. In addition, we are the only financial institution headquartered in Wisconsin, as well as the
eighth organization in Wisconsin, to achieve the Leadership Club Level.
1 Since 2008.
2 Since 2007.